Saturday, February 12, 2011

Pot Pie

Last week I pulled one of the fried turkeys from Thanksgiving out of the freezer and we had "turkey week"...turkey dinner, hot turkey sandwiches, cold turkey sandwiches, and finally with all those small pieces I pulled off the bone...turkey pot pie.  I wanted to make this one as easy as possible so combined a few recipes that I had found and came up with this one. I must say it was delicious!  Obviously you can use chicken for this or maybe even beef by substituting mushroom soup for the cream of chicken.  I did put a bottom crust on this but it's not necessary...Here we go..

1 package puff pastry( 2 sheets to a pack)
6 mushrooms, sliced
2 Tbl butter or margarine
1 medium onion, diced
1 lb frozen mixed vegetables, thawed ( I used the one for soup)
4 cups diced, cooked turkey or chicken
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1 tsp black pepper
2 cans cream of chicken soup(condensed)
1/2 cup milk
1 Tbl flour

Thaw the puff pastry and take one sheet and roll it large enough to fit on the bottom of a 3 quart baking dish. Once in the dish cover the pastry with foil and bake at 400F for about 20 minutes.  Remove the foil.
Saute the onions and mushrooms in the butter until they soften a bit. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir until well combined.  Pour the mixture into the baking dish. Cut the 2nd sheet of pastry into about 6 strips lengthwise and cover the top of the casserole in a lattice pattern (like the picture) use any excess to make a rim around the casserole.  Bake at 400F for about 40 -50 minutes or until the crust browns and the pie is bubbly.

1 comment:

  1. I usually use biscuits or pie crust when I make pot pie.........tonight I tried it with puff pastry. It was a HIT!! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete