Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Make Your Own Pita Bread

This past weekend as I was preparing to make Kim's Feta and Mint Dip, I realized that I had forgotten to pick up pita bread or chips for the recipe.  I did a little research and decided I could make my own (If I can do it, you can too).  I made 12 pitas and turned some into chips.  The rest were used the next night for Kebapcheta With Tzatziki.

1 package dry active yeast
1/2 cup warm water ( about 100F)
3  1/2 cups AP flour
1/2 cup semolina flour
1  1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 cup  fairly warm water
Olive oil for coating

Dissolve the yeast in the 1/2 cup warm water and add the sugar.  Let stand 10 to 15 minutes until the mixture starts to foam a little.
Whisk the flours and salt in a large bowl.
Make a little depression in the four and add the yeast mixture and start to stir.
Add the one cup of water a little at a time stirring constantly.  The mixture should
start to stiffen.
On a floured surface, knead the dough for about 10 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic, adding more flour if necessary.
Roll the dough in some olive oil to cover the surface, place in a bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in bulk.
After the rise, divide the dough into 12 equal pieces and set the pieces on a floured surface for about 10 minutes.
Roll each piece of dough into a 6 to 7 inch circle (you'll need a well floured surface and rolling pin for this).
Pre heat the oven and baking sheets to 500F. Place your pitas on the baking sheets and bake for 4 minutes.  Flip with a spatula and bake for 2 more minutes. I did this in batches. The pitas should puff up a bit but if not will still be delicious.

Here's the pita chip recipe:
http://inpatskitchen.blogspot.com/2011/06/pita-chips.html 

No comments:

Post a Comment