Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Thanksgiving Sauerkraut

For as long as I can remember there has always been sauerkraut on our Thanksgiving table...my grandmother made it, my mom made it and even after I took over Thanksgiving over 30 years ago, my mom brought it.  After mom passed away I decided that even though not everyone cared for it , it had to be.  I lightened it up by adding fresh cabbage instead of straight sauerkraut, but otherwise the recipe is about the same.  I made some last week to go with sausage and potatoes and for Thanksgiving I'll probably double this recipe that  serves 4 to 6.

2 Tbl butter
2 Tbl turkey drippings or olive oil
1 cup rough chopped onion
6 cups chopped cabbage
2  1/2 cups shredded sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
2 Tbl Hungarian paprika
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 to 2 tsp salt (depending on the saltiness of the sauerkraut
2 cups turkey or chicken broth

In a large saute pan heat the butter and oil or drippings, add the onion and saute for a few minutes until the onion softens a bit.
Add the paprika, salt and pepper and stir.
Add the cabbage, stir it around and add one cup of the broth.
Continue to cook down and after the cabbage begins to wilt, add the sauerkraut and 2nd cup of broth.
Transfer to a small baking pan, cover and bake covered for about 20 minutes at 350F.  Uncover and bake about 15 minutes more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment