Saturday, April 9, 2011

My Shooter's Sandwich

Matt sent me a link to Tim Hayward's ( food writer and photographer for the UK's The Guardian ) recipe for what's called a Shooter's Sandwich, traditionally a huge beef and grilled mushroom sandwich that the cook would make the night before the hunt. I decided to make it, but I added to it and changed it a bit.  We liked ours cut in wedges and warmed in the oven, but eating it at room temperature is perfectly acceptable.

The link to the original is here: 
You'll also find a slide show presentation there.

1 8 inch round loaf of crusty bread, the top quarter cut off and hollowed out a bit.
2  10 ounce boneless ribeyes, about 3/4 inch thick

Marinate the steaks in the following for about 45 minutes:
1/2 cup dry red wine
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp minced rosemary
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

In the meantime make the mushroom filling:
7 Tbl butter
1/2 cup diced red onion
1/2 cup diced shallots
1 Tbl minced rosemary
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
16 ounces diced mushrooms
1/4 cup dry red wine
1/2 cup chopped parsley
Saute all but the wine and parsley in a large frying pan until the mixture becomes almost dry.  Add the wine and parsley and continue to cook until the wine has evaporated. Transfer to a bowl to cool.

Make the spread for the bread by combining the following:
4 Tbl prepared horseradish
2 Tbl Dijon mustard
2 tbl olive oil
1 tbl chopped capers
1 tsp black pepper
Spread this mixture over all cut surfaces of the bread, top and bottom.

Remove the steaks from the marinade, pat dry and sear the to rare to medium rare in a large frying pan. Place one steak on the bottom half of the bread round.  Spread the mushroom mixture over the steak and place the second steak on top.  Cover with the bread top.  Wrap in waxed paper and then in aluminum foil. Set the sandwich on a baking sheet, top with another baking sheet  and top that with something heavy ( I used 2 foil wrapped bricks).  Set in a cool place for at least 6 hours before serving.
To serve, slice into wedges .  As I said earlier, we warmed the wedges in a 400F oven for about 8 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment