Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Cheap Eats

This post is really not about a recipe, but more about how inexpensive it was to make.  My daughter, Jessa the newly proclaimed "coupon queen", e-mailed me about a buy 5 get $5.00 off Kraft products coupon. You were allowed to print 2 of these. Meijers was having a sale on Kraft 8 oz. blocks of cheese (3 for $5.00). If you bought 10 and used the 2 coupons you ended up getting the cheese for 67 cents each...But it gets better..By buying 10, the cash register spit out a $5.00 coupon for your next purchase! The cheese ended up costing only 17 cents a block! I had a coupon for $1.00 off 2 Progresso soups. And yes, the soup was already on sale for $1.00 each.
Grilled cheese and tomato soup are favorites on a cold rainy day...so I grated some colby-jack and mozzarella and made grilled cheese on rye. I "doctored" up the soup a bit by adding a little 1/2 and 1/2 for creaminess and fresh basil for flavor.


All in all, I think this meal cost less than $2.00 for both of us.
Thanks for the cheese tip, Jessa!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like she is turning you into "The Queen Mother". Gotta love it!

    ReplyDelete