Thursday, September 30, 2010

Peppers

As a kid growing up I remember Mom and Dad roasting and then canning bushels of peppers in late summer and early fall. Some of those peppers were so HOT that their hands would burn from peeling them and tears would flow when eating them. I love roasted peppers but not real hot ones.  I don't can them but roast them year round.  In the summer I do them on the gas grill and in the winter, under the broiler. All you need to do is char them on all sides until they blacken a bit and become blistery.  Let them cool and then peel the skins off,  and then take out the seeds and stems.  I cut them in half and then dress them with red wine vinegar, olive oil, fresh garlic, parsley and salt and pepper. If you like a little tang, roast one hot one to every 8 sweet ones and then finely dice it and add when you dress the peppers. Or you can finely dice a raw jalapeno or serrano.  Pictured are cubanelles but I'm also very fond of red bells done this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment