Friday, October 22, 2010

Apple Cake

My daughter Jessa came by last week and mentioned that she had a lot of apples at her house.  I suggested she bake my mom's apple cake and dug out the recipe for her.  I haven't made this in years, so when Jessa told me that Alex loved it but that it was a little too oily for her taste, I thought maybe we should cut out that extra 1/3 cup of oil in the recipe.  I do remember this being a very moist cake. I'm posting the original recipe, but feel free to leave out the extra oil.  The apples themselves should give it plenty of moisture.

In a large mixing bowl whisk together:
2 1/2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
Whisk together the following in another bowl:
1 1/3 cups vegetable oil
4 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
Stir the liquid mixture into the dry
Add 3 cups peeled and diced apple
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts or pecans
Pour mixture into a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan
Bake at 325F for about 1 hour 15 minutes

1 comment:

  1. Molly and I made Apple Cake today and cut the oil to 2/3 of a cup and it was still very moist. With less oil it took less time to bake, which surprised me a little.

    ReplyDelete