Sunday, October 10, 2010

Basil

For me there's no comparison between fresh and dried basil.  I grow 10 -12 plants in the summer and usually have a plant in the garden window during the winter. I harvest it all summer, puree it in the blender with olive oil and then freeze the puree in ice cube trays.  Once frozen, pop the cubes out and store in freezer bags.  If you don't grow basil try to find a few large bunches now while the price is reasonable.  Just put the leaves in the blender and slowly add the oil until the mixture purees.( I can't give you exact amounts -I've never measured!)
Throw a cube or two into pasta sauces, minestrones, and other soups and stews.
Thaw out a few cubes and process with pine nuts and parmesan to make pesto.

A taste of summer all year round!

No comments:

Post a Comment