Sunday, December 5, 2010

Oatmeal cookies

These are the BEST oatmeal cookies I've ever had!  Mom always made them for Christmas (along with about a dozen other kinds).  She would start baking and freezing in November. I like these because they're not dry like some and don't have any raisins in them.  I think the secret is the brown sugar and coconut.  Everyone in our family loves them( even the little ones!)

1 cup( 2 sticks) unsalted butter
2 cups light brown sugar
2 eggs, well beaten
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1/2 cup shredded coconut( sweetened or unsweetened)
2 cups dry oatmeal
2 cups all purpose flour

Cream the butter and sugar together, then mix in the beaten eggs. Beat in the baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir in the oatmeal, flour, coconut and nuts until well incorporated. Chill the dough for about 30 minutes and then divide it into thirds and shape into logs about 9 inches long.  Wrap the rolls separately in waxed paper and chill them overnight.(at this point you can freeze them to bake later - just thaw first).
The next day, slice the logs into 1/2 inch rounds (you should get about 15 cookies per log).  Bake on an ungreased baking sheet for 10 to 12 minutes at 350F. ( I've been baking on those Silpats lately).

These do freeze well.

6 comments:

  1. Pat,
    Do you use quick oats for old fashion oats?
    I always loved these too!! Somehow I missed out on the recipe before this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use the quick oats...but I wonder..did they have them back in the 60's? I'll check

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fund out the quick oats were introduced in the 50's...but I don't know what mom used...I think both work

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll let you know if they are okay with old fashion....I would imagine your mom made them sometime in the 50's too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are the best!!!I am going to make some soon...

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are soooo good, just like a remembered!
    I chickened out at the last minute and used quick oats.

    ReplyDelete