Friday, December 3, 2010

Spinach soup

During the winter we often have a soup and sandwich supper, and so a few days ago I made a spinach soup to go with tuna salad sandwiches.  Some time ago my cousin Anne had given me a package of  Harvest Grains Blend from Trader Joe's.  It was a mixture of couscous, orzo, baby chick peas, and quinoa. I thought I'd try using some of it in the soup...it was delicious! If you can't find this, try a combination of some of the ingredients ( I think couscous and quinoa would be great). 

2 Tbl olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
3 - 4 cloves garlic, minced
8 -9 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup of the couscous blend
1  9oz. package fresh baby spinach
salt and pepper to taste

Saute the onion, carrot, and garlic in the olive oil until the onion begins to soften.  Add the broth, bring to a boil and then simmer for about 5 minutes.  Add the couscous blend and simmer 10 - 15 minutes partially covered. Slowly add the spinach leaves and simmer until the spinach wilts. Salt and pepper to taste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment