Monday, January 24, 2011

Brandied Apricot Jam

I had quite a nice size bag of dried apricots sitting in my fridge for the last month and so I decided to turn them into a jam that I could freeze in small containers. I didn't want this too sweet because I think I'll be able to incorporate the jam into a savory main dish or two in the near future. Here's what I did:

5 cups dried apricots soaked in water for a few hours
1/2 cup sugar( or more if you want a sweeter jam)
juice of 1 lemon
pinch of salt
1/2 cup brandy
water for cooking

Drain the soaked apricots and cut them up in pieces. In a medium sauce pan  simmer the apricots and sugar covered with water until the mixture starts to break down and become "jammy". (This can take 30 to 45 minutes..add more water if needed) Once the apricots break down, add the lemon juice, salt and brandy and continue to simmer for about 15 minutes more. Cool and pack in containers for freezing if you like.
Makes about 3 pints

1 comment: