Saturday, November 13, 2010

Almost turkey time

Thanksgiving is less then two weeks away, so it's time to get organized and start shopping  for my favorite holiday of the year.  First we have to shop for reasonably priced turkeys.  We deep fry ours - 2 on Thanksgiving day and then 2 or 3 more the day after to freeze. We started frying them quite a few years ago after hearing so much about how good they tasted from my customers at the market.  The first year we fried one and roasted one and the whole family agreed that fried is best. We don't inject ours, but simply rub them with a cajun-creole salt about an hour before frying. To see a good article( and video) on frying turkey go here:

http://tipdeck.com/deep-fried-turkey-instructions 

The rest of our meal is pretty traditional: dressing(now I make it up and put it in the crockpot with a browned turkey wing for good flavor), mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, that famous green bean casserole that cousin Anne always brings, fruit salad for the kids, and ham. Some years I make scalloped oysters and a little oyster dressing and I always make,, in honor of my mom, sauerkrautIt was always on the table growing up, and even though not many in the family like it, I make a small casserole mixed with fresh cabbage, onion, paprika, and turkey stock.
We'll have pumpkin pie and other desserts...and I always make enough for everyone to take their fill of leftovers.

Since the price of peanut oil has risen, we've been using a peanut-vegetable oil blend.  We're going to start researching those oil-less electric fryers just to see if it's worth the investment.

Now...I think I'll make a roasted squash pasta with those weird looking ones pictured.

No comments:

Post a Comment