Sunday, November 28, 2010

Sweet potato- pecan bread

So Thanksgiving is over....we've eaten our fill of leftovers, made turkey stock, froze turkey drums and cranberry sauce and fried 3 more turkeys to put away for cold days this winter....but I still had leftover sweet potatoes.  I kept thinking about my mom's banana bread recipe and decided to tweak it a bit and make a sweet potato bread.  I have to admit, it turned out rather good.  Jamie, Drew, and Riley stopped by when it had just come out of the oven and really enjoyed it warm with butter.  I had a piece this morning cold and really liked it too.

Cream together:
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
Beat in:
2 eggs 
1 cup cooked, mashed sweet potatoes ( even canned ones would work)
3 Tbl. milk

Stir in:
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup chopped pecans (I toasted them in the oven for a few minutes)


Spread mixture into a greased loaf pan and bake for about 1 hour at 350F


Gee...maybe I can learn to bake after all! (Ha Ha)

5 comments:

  1. Wow! You sure are baking a lot lately!
    This looks great. Darb loves baked sweet potatoes and I usually bake them once a week. This week there will be an extra in the oven and I'll make your recipe.
    He is going to LOVE you for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey....another "banana bread" for your Grands!
    Keep baking with those veggies ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. On my list of things to do today. Sometime between errands, swim meet and Molly's 13th birthday party!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pat,
    I made this last night ( after the swim meet and birthday party) but made a few additions.
    I added 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground cloves and 1/4 tsp ground ginger.
    We love that it is NOT so terribly sweet. Great with a cup of coffee this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds great...I'll have to try it next time I make it

    ReplyDelete