Sunday, November 21, 2010

Chicken, Turkey, Veal...Lemony and Garlicky

The first time I had a dish similar to this was at Lelli's Restaurant in Detroit.  I'm not sure, but I think it's called Chicken Lelli and is still on the menu at their Auburn Hills location. I make an easy version by using packaged chicken gravy mix as the sauce base. I've made it with chicken, turkey breast, and veal.  Pictured above is the turkey version.

For the meat:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves or turkey breast slices, pounded to an
    even thickness or veal scallopine slices
1/2 cup flour seasoned with 2 tsp. lemon pepper
1 egg mixed with 2 Tbl water
1 to 1 1/2 cups seasoned Italian bread crumbs
Vegetable oil for frying

Dredge the meat in the flour, then the egg, and finally in the crumbs. Brown the pieces in a frying pan in the oil.( oil should reach about 3/4 inch)
Place pieces on a baking sheet and bake for 20 -25 minutes at 350F

For the gravy:
2 packages dry chicken gravy mix
2 large garlic cloves, crushed
1 1/2 Tbl butter or margarine
2 cups water
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
juice of 1/2 lemon

Saute the garlic in the butter for about 45 seconds
Add the gravy packets and slowly add the water, whisking as you do
Simmer until thickened, turn off the heat and add the parsley and lemon juice
Serve over the chicken

Note: I usually make the gravy ahead of time, so I don't add the parsley and lemon until I re-heat.  Sometimes making the gravy ahead makes it too thick, so I add more water.

No comments:

Post a Comment