Thursday, November 11, 2010

Brick chicken


We like the taste of grilled chicken, but I always worry about whether or not I've cooked it long enough.  I came up with this idea a few years ago...grill then roast!  Take a 3 to 5 lb. whole chicken, split it, marinate it a few hours, and then get either a gas or charcoal grill up to medium heat.  You'll need either 2 bricks covered in foil or a heavy cast iron pan. With the bricks I also use a flat grill pan with round holes in it.. Lay the chicken skin side down on the grill and top with the grill pan and bricks or the heavy cast iron pan.  Grill until nice and browned ( about 10 to 15 minutes on each side).  Make sure you have heavy duty gloves to remove the bricks.  You can baste it a little with the marinade. After browning, transfer the chicken to a roasting pan and roast in a pre-heated 350F oven for about an hour, basting occasionally with the pan juices. Goes great with the roasted potatoes I posted yesterday.
I use the same marinade for this one that I use for the slow roasted chicken: 1/4 cup olive oil, 3 to 4 Tbl. Cavenders Greek Seasoning, and the juice of one lemon. Marinate a few hours before grilling.

Note:  This great if you like to grill in the winter, because you can do the grilling part early in daylight and then hold to roast later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment